Conway will be acknowledged as a distinctive music ecosystem where a spirit of innovation fosters a thriving industry and live music scene, both economically and culturally.
- In 2035, Conway will hire an entity such as Sound Diplomacy to conduct a feasibility study and SWOT of venues, regulatory environment, and support infrastructure.
- In 2035, Conway will establish an entertainment, performing and public arts, and regional shopping destination in Conway.
- In 2035, Conway will coordinate and expand the number and diversity of live music venues of various sizes. Includes projects as large as the Grand Theater and the amphitheater as well as much smaller venues.
- In 2035, Conway will support and nurture local organizations that are focused on live music, music education, music performance, and music industry, especially those serving local artists and their aspirations.
- In 2035, Conway will establish a volunteer network to provide free music lessons to kids in Conway to grow our own music culture.
- In 2035, Conway will increase the number of and quality of performance spaces/opportunities, inclusive of diverse musical genres and ethnically and culturally diverse artists.
- In 2035, Conway will host Make Music Conway or Porch Stomp Conway type of initiatives that highlight acoustic music.
- In 2035, Conway will have a network of colleges, venues, and music professionals to allow for festival type experiences and arts events throughout the calendar.
- In 2035, Conway will solidify Conway as a prominent destination in the booking agent network, especially for acts traveling the southern tier.
- In 2035, Conway will develop a public space that is a sound garden (park) — meant for exploring and playing with sound, creating music, and being introduced to instruments.
- In 2035, Conway will enable professional development opportunities for music business professionals.
- In 2035, Conway will set up a “fair play” framework for booking mechanisms and space utilization.
- In 2035, Conway will establish an aggregator of music and art event listings.
10 Ways Individuals Can Support This Sector
- Share their talents! We have some talented folks in Conway who are not tapped!
- Have arts or community event that breaks a world record.
- Help spur the regulatory review necessary to grow live music possibilities.
- Creating small groups of friends to attend events as a “team”.
- Encourage their friends to go hear live music; encourage their kids to learn instruments.
- Host a monthly porch concert, Promote and encourage busking.
- Christmas Carols on all evenings during the holidays.
- GrammyU program (led by colleges) to develop artists and professionals.
- Create live music events and street performances around holidays (such as St. Patrick’s Day).
- Tour de Conway Bike to Music Festival.
5 Ways Organizations Can Support This Sector
- Conway Advertising and Promotions Commission – Collects sales tax funds and can only be used for events that promote the city.
- Colleges must take a lead to make progress on most of these live music goals.
- Conway Corp would be an excellent partner to spur development – especially related to music education (at heart of CC’s mission).
- Existing music industry partners (e.g. Palmer Music, Fret Monkey, Awakening Events) in Conway should become partners in this work.
- Chamber and Downtown Partners working together to create live music & cultural events (3rd Thursday type of street parties similar to Alive in Roswell (GA).